Focus on your future: College fairs!
College fairs enable you to meet representatives from many different college admissions offices. Go to some local college fairs and talk with college staff. Make the most of your time by being prepared.
- Think about what you need and want in a college education.
- Ask your high school counselor which colleges will be represented and then research those colleges before attending. Choose five to ten colleges to visit at the fair.
- Develop specific questions to show your interest (see suggestions below, though you may have others). Determine the three questions that you most want to ask each college representative.
At the fair
- Visit each college on your list, making sure to ask questions, take notes, and give each representative your full attention.
- Take business cards from all of the representatives you talk to so you can contact them later with follow-up questions or requests for information.
- Take only those materials you’re truly interested in looking through.
Time will be limited, so ask whatever questions address your specific interests.
- What housing options are available?
- What percentage of the student body lives on campus?
- What are the admissions requirements for my major?
- How do first-year students choose their classes?
- What tutoring or learning support services are provided?
- What options are available for study abroad?
- What percentage of last year’s first-year students returned for sophomore year?
- What services are available to help me with career planning?
- What percentage of your first-year students eventually graduate?
- When and how should I schedule an interview?
- What is your admissions deadline?
- Does your college require its own financial aid application? What is the deadline? Do you require the CSS Profile?