educational opportunity center program
Provide information, support, and counseling services to adult Vermonters who are outside of the public school system and have limited access to school counselors and other resources.
Who we serve
- 5,968 counseling sessions and participant contacts
- 1,596 adults seen in a workshop setting
The adult program serves an out-of-school population age 19 and up. Individuals are usually in need of career direction, information about postsecondary options, and financial aid.
Of the adult population Outreach serves:
- 74% are female
- 53% are unemployed
- 75% are first-generation college-bound and low-income
- 44% are over the age of 28
- 44% are referred by agency personnel
- Individual counseling sessions focusing on career decision-making, educational planning, and financial aid
- Workshops on career planning and educational options beyond high school (free and open to the public)
- Career and education workshops provided to participants in other agencies and programs
- 63% of college-ready participants applied for admission to a post-secondary program.
- 73% of college-ready participants applied for financial aid.
- 213 Educational Opportunity Center participants were awarded a total of $1,214,800 in scholarships through VSAC.